Deaf South Australian man Bruce Muller has been awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) on the Queen’s birthday weekend, 9 June 2014, for his service to deaf and hard of hearing people.
Bruce was a founding member of Deaf Australia (formerly known as Australian Association of the Deaf) and served as inaugural Secretary and was involved in many board and committee groups in the deaf sector for many years.
Bruce’s long involvement with the deaf community includes:
- Royal South Australian Deaf Society (currently trading as Deaf Can: Do) (Acting Executive Director – 1995; board member – 1955 – 2007.
- Royal South Australian Deaf Society; Deaf committee 1952 – 1982 (chairman for 8 years, secretary for 10 years)
- Australian Federation of Deaf Societies
- Deaf Sports Australia – 2001 – 2003, President and board member
- Australian Deaf Sports Federation (currently known as Deaf Sports Australia) 1978 – 1998
- South Australian Deaf Sports and Social Club (now known as Deaf Community and Sport South Australia) Inaugural Treasurer – 1984 -1992, board member 1992-1997.
- Australian Deaf Sports Federation (Life Membership – 1997)
- Australian Sports Medal (2000).
On behalf of Deaf Australia, we congratulate Mr Bruce Muller for this achievement and thank him for his valuable contributions to the deaf community across Australia.