The Fair Go Award is open to all organisations operating in Australia and is in recognition of exceptional efforts in giving Deaf people a fair go. Fair go is very much part of Australian culture.
Fair go: a chance, an adequate opportunity. Often used to describe a fair and reasonable course of action
Deaf Australia awarded the inaugural Fair Go Award in 2004 at the launch of National Week of Deaf People in Melbourne to IBM Australia. IBM won this award for giving Deaf people a fair go in their workplace and for being innovative in creating communication solutions and a diverse workplace.
The second Fair Go Award was awarded to Melbourne 2005 20th Deaflympic Games during the National Week of Deaf People in 2005.
The third Fair Go Award was awarded to The Woodworkers Company, Brisbane during the National Week of Deaf People in 2006.
How to enter
Organisations are nominated in recognition of exceptional efforts in giving Deaf people a fair go. Nominees can be nominated for their efforts in any field, e.g. education, service provision, health, telecommunications, employment etc. Some examples of reasons for nominating an organisation could be but are not limited to:
- Provides appropriate and high quality support for Deaf people to ensure equal access to education
- Affirmative action enabling Deaf people to participate in employment on a level playing field
- Provides high quality services enabling Deaf people to participate in community and society
- Provides programs to increase options and opportunities for Deaf people
- Provides appropriate services/support to enable Deaf people to equitably access a product or service Provides a high level of access to technology for Deaf people
Nominations may be made by
Any person who is an Ordinary member of Deaf Australia. Any Organisation which is an Ordinary Corporate member of Deaf Australia.
Awards Guidelines & Nomination Forms
Nominations for the 2016 awards close at 5pm on 21 September, 2016.Download the Fair Go Award Guidelines (PDF 280KB) Nominate now! Click here to go to the nomination form.