The World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) set up a “Deaf Flag Committee” at the General Assembly in 2015 (Istanbul, Turkey), composed of five members: France, Iran, Nepal, Russian Federation and Sweden.
The Deaf Flag Committee is leading a process, which aims at selecting one or more Deaf Flag design proposals for the WFD General Assembly 2019 in Paris, France, to be voted by the delegates.
As part of this process, the Deaf Flag Committee, supported by the WFD Board, is now seeking expressions of interest from those interested in serving in a Committee of Graphic Designers. Note that a nomination for this Committee of Graphic Designers will need to be put forward and supported by a WFD Ordinary Member (in this case endorsed by the board of Deaf Australia Inc).
Committee of Graphic Designers will be responsible for:
- Preparing the call for Deaf Flag designs; including size, format, submission requirements and evaluation criteria (expected to take place between mid-February and mid-March 2018)
- Call for Deaf Flag Design (expect to open by end of March 2018 until end of September 2018)
- Evaluating the Deaf Flag design proposals (expected to take place in October-December 2018)
- Establishing a digital / social media platform to permit WFD Ordinary Members to exchange and provide feedback on the designs. (expected to take place in October 2018-December 2018)
- Choosing one or more design proposals for the WFD General Assembly vote (July 2019) in Paris, France basing its decision on its own evaluation and on the feedback received through social media. (expected to take place in October 2018-December 2018)
Each WFD Ordinary Member can propose one person to serve in a voluntary capacity, for a period of February 2018 – July 2019 in the Committee of Graphic Designers. The requirements for the Committee members are as follows:
- Qualified and experienced graphic design specialist
- Lived experience as a member of the Deaf Community
- Competency in International Sign
To nominate an individual for the Committee of Graphic Designers, the Ordinary Member is required to provide the following:
- A duly filled and signed form (Appendix A)
- CV of the nominee
- Nominee’s Letter of motivation both in English and International Sign (video)
- Portfolio of work from the nominee, including selected examples of design work, preferably via a weblink.
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] by 23 January 2018.
Please note that this is a VOLUNTEER role.
To view an international sign video about this, please click here. Please note that this video is password protected – please use the password: Deafflag to view.