Thank you for your interest in volunteering as a leader at the 2023 Crossing Borders Youth Camp from Wednesday 12th to Sunday 16th April 2023. The camp venue is QCCC Brookfield in Brisbane, Queensland.
To apply you can fill in the form or reply in Auslan and email it to [email protected]. Applications close Sunday 15th January 2023.
As a camp leader, your role will be to support the camp coordinator with coordination and implementation of the camp program. The 2023 Crossing Borders Youth Camp supports Deaf/Hard of Hearing youth aged 13-17 years to develop their self-esteem, personal and leadership skills as well as enhance their friendship networks. At the camp, participants will be involved in teamwork building workshops, outdoor adventure activities and environmental education exercises. The overall camp program will be entertaining, caring, challenging and at times sporty over the week. Deaf Australia is seeking camp leaders with diverse personalities, skills, and interests. Join us for what will be the most rewarding week of your life!
As a camp leader, you must be:
- available 24/7 during the camp
- have a positive rapport with young people and flexible attitude
- willing to mentor and look after the campers in your assigned cabin
- participate in most of activities, including interactive group activities, low ropes initiatives, bike riding, canoeing
- willing to perform night duty
- willing to oversee kitchen duty, night recreation activities, sports activities
- willing to contribute to a positive camp culture
- have a Working With Children’s Check (Blue card)
After we have received your application, we will contact you further for the next steps. If you are selected as a leader then you will be required to attend an introductory/leadership training workshop from Friday evening of 24th until Sunday 26th March in Brisbane (venue to TBC). Over this weekend, you will learn more about camp and your duties as a leader.
If you are selected, you will maintain your communication with your camp coordinator in the pre-camp preparation, training and receive information. Your travel costs for the training weekend and camp, and registration fee will be covered.
Excited to hear from you!
Erin Davies, Camp Coordinator
Deaf Australia, 2023 Crossing Borders Youth Camp Coordinator