Deaf Australia is proudly to announce that Mr. Colin Allen, former President of Deaf Australia (then Australian Association of the Deaf) and an Honorary Life Member of Deaf Australia has been made a Member of the Order of Australia in 2018 Queen’s Birthday Honors in his dedication to the deaf community both in Australia and internationally.
Mr. Allen has been awarded for ‘significant service to people who are deaf or hard of hearing through national and international leadership and advocacy roles.’
His service includes:
- Deaf Australia (President for 11 years);
- Deaf Society of NSW (Director of Services and Community Engagement);
- International Disability Alliance (IDA) (chair and vice chair);
- World Federation of the Deaf (presently President serving 2ndterm and board member);
- Finnish Association of the Deaf (organisational advisor);
- Australian Deaf Gay and Lesbian Association;
- New South Wales Association of the Deaf; and
- Actor – Australian Theatre of the Deaf and Finnish Theatre of the Deaf.
Mr. Allen also receive numerous awards:
- Community Colleges Australia Award for Outstanding Contribution by an Individual to the Community Education Section, Community Colleges Australia 2013;
- Grand Cross Award, World Federation of the Deaf, 1999;
- Dorothy Shaw Deaf Australian of the Year, 1999;
- Deaf Citizen of the Year, New South Wales Association of the Deaf, 1993; and
- Queen Elizabeth Silver Jubilee Award for Young Australians, 1979.
This award means that Colin will be known as Mr. Colin Allen, AM.
Deaf Australia wishes to congratulate Colin for this award in a well-deserved recognition of his achievement and outstanding contribution to the deaf community.