Deaf Sector and the NDIS
NDIS has established a ‘Hearing Stream Department’ and is seeking Deaf Australia to provide feedback to NDIS on the following topics:
- Children learning Auslan;
- Best Practice for early intervention including options for mode of communication;
- NDIA Access Requirements;
- Pricing for Early Intervention and interpreter supports;
- Hearing and visual devices, augmentations, products and training;
- Carer’s perspective.
Deaf Australia will host 3 national consultations (Perth, Melbourne and Sydney). These consultations are in Auslan and interpreters are provided for non-Auslan users.
Date, time and location of consultations:
- Perth – 3 April at 6.30 pm at AccessPlus WA Deaf, D’ Café, 34 Dodd Street, Wembley WA
- Sydney – 16 April at 6.30 at Ephpheta Centre, 4 Turner St, Punchbowl NSW
- Melbourne – 3 May at 6.30 at John Pierce Centre, 25-35 High Street Road, Prahran Vic
Online Survey is being conducted via Survey Monkey, which means anyone can provide feedback. It is preferred that the person who is providing feedback are deaf, hard of hearing, parents/ carers of deaf child/ person, interpreters and service providers for deaf community.
Survey link: www.surveymonkey.com/r/deafconsultNDIS
Survey close on 17 May 2019.
If you wish to provide one-to-one interview with Deaf Australia, you can request by sending an email to email@example.com and provide your contact details and we will get in touch with you to organise a time. The interview will be done via video conference.
It is expected that Deaf Australia will submit its report to NDIS by end of June 2019.