Wednesday, 23 September 2020 at 7.30 pm
via Virtual (Zoom)
Deaf Australia Inc will hold its Thirty-fourth (34th) Annual General meeting on Wednesday 23 September at 7.30 PM via Virtual (online) at 7.30 pm.
Due to Covid-19, the Commonwealth Government has allowed companies and organisations to convene annual general meetings, and other meetings, prescribed under the Corporation Act, entirely online rather than face-to-face.
The meeting must provide members with a reasonable opportunity to participate, as such, put questions to board members and vote online.
To register in advance for the Annual General Meeting, click below:
After registering, we will check your details against our membership database, and you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the AGM.
Important note: Make sure your full name and email address correspond with our database. If you changed your contact details (address, email and phone) please contact me as soon as possible.
The AGM will be livestreamed on Facebook for non-members.
Deaf Australia’s Constitution that was amended on 22 November 2014 states that:
Election of Board Directors:
- Nomination shall be in writing addressed to the secretary and shall be signed by the nominee, proposer and seconder, all whom must be financial Ordinary Individual Member of Deaf Australia, please click ‘Nomination Form’ to open the document;
- Nomination must be lodged 21 days prior to Annual General Meeting (nomination must be received by 2 September 2020);
- If we receive 3 or more nominations, we will send you a ballot on 9 September 2020, and ballot must be received by 22 September 2020 (a ballot can be in form of electronic ballot);
- Only Ordinary Individual Members[i] are entitled to vote for board members. We will send you information on ballot voting once we receive nominations; and
The current Board Directors:
- Todd Wright (NSW) – Term completed – RETIRED.
- Adrian Doyle (Vic) – Term completed – AVAILABLE FOR NOMINATION
- Rodney Adams (NSW) – Term continue until 2021.
- 2 x Directors – Term continue until 2022 – AVAILABLE FOR NOMINATION
- Debra Swann (SA) – Co-opt Board of Director (1-year term to 2020) – AVAILABLE FOR NOMINATION
- Josie Hodgetts (WA) – Co-opt Board of Director (1-year term to 2020) – AVAILABLE FOR NOMINATION
Due to current vacancy of 2 x directors (term expiring 2022), these positions can be filled at the AGM if there are more than 2 nominations. In case of ballot, first two nominees with highest votes will be elected to 3 years term, subsequent votes will be elected to 2 years term until all positions are filled.
The constitution dictates the following:
- Maximum (two) 2 Board of Directors can be elected from same state/ territory;
- After the AGM, the elected directors will determine its positions.
- All members (ordinary and associate) are entitled to put items (things you want to talk about) on the agenda for the Annual General Meeting.
- Written notice of item for the Agenda must reach the Secretary by 2 September 2020, Agenda, minutes and other papers will be sent to you on or before 9 September – send email to email@example.com.
Voting at the Annual General Meeting:
- If you are an Ordinary Individual Member or an Ordinary Organisation Member[ii] you are entitled to vote at Deaf Australia general meetings.
- If you are not coming to the meeting on 23 September 2020, you may appoint another member as your proxy to vote for you (please click ‘proxy and apology form’ to open online form).
Please complete and submit Proxy and Apology Form by 22 September 2020.
NB: The person you choose as your proxy must be a member of Deaf Australia who is entitled to vote.
- If you are an Associate Individual Member[iii] or an Associate Organisation Member[iv] of Deaf Australia, you are not entitled to vote at Deaf Australia general meetings. However, due to online AGM, you are welcome to join the meeting through livestreaming (Facebook) on DeafAustraliaInc.
SUMMARY OF TIMELINE:
- Submit board nomination forms by Wednesday, 2 September 2020;
- Propose your meeting agenda item/s by Wednesday, 2 September 2020;
- Submit Apology/ Proxy Form by Tuesday, 22 September 2020;
- Submit your ballot vote by Tuesday, 22 September 2020 (if required).
Nominations for Annual Awards is open (please click below to enter nomination) (Closing Date: 5 September 2020)
Please send all items to the Deaf Australia at PO Box 1348, Blackburn North, Victoria 3130; or fax to 03 8691 1324; or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Kyle Miers, CEO/ Company Secretary
- [i] An Ordinary individual is Deaf or Hard of Hearing Person.
- [ii] An Ordinary organisation member is a national organisation where more than 50% of its board members are deaf or hard of hearing.
- [iii] An Associate individual member is a person who is not deaf or hard of hearing.
- [iv] An Associate organisation member is any organisation that is not a national organisation/ and or where less than 50% of board members are deaf and hard of hearing.